East Africa News Post

Complete News World

SSA Form 1099, especially if you are retired in the United States

SSA Form 1099, especially if you are retired in the United States

If you are a beneficiary of Social Security, you need to know how much you are getting each time the corresponding monthly payment is made. But how to do that? It’s easy, with SSA Form 1099, a tax document implemented for this purpose.

As usual, the Social Security Administration (SSA) mails each January Form SSA-1099. This document is also called a Social Security Benefit Statement. Deliveries are made to all US citizens and residents who received payments the previous year under this concept.

Form SSA-1099 details the total amount of Social Security benefits received during the previous year. This information is essential for beneficiaries to provide data recorded on their tax returns to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Forms are automatically sent to recipient mailing addresses every January. Those who have not received or lost an SSA-1099 should be aware that alternatives are available online through My Social Security Account. Log in and go to Alternative Documents for a printable copy.

Start an account with My Social Security

If you want to open an account with My Social Security, you must have a valid address in the United States. Residents can create and use an account abroad, but must maintain an address on US soil.

If you don’t have an account, you can request changes by calling 800-772-1213 or visiting a local SSA office. If you live abroad, contact the nearest federal benefits office as soon as possible.

Remember that every beginning of the year, there is a high demand for these forms. To avoid setbacks and delays, it is recommended to schedule an appointment in advance with sufficient time. Alternate copies of both forms are accessible from 1st February every year.

See also  El Salvador meets USAID leader Naib Bukheil after aid cuts to judiciary