United States Geological Survey (USGS) shows real-time earthquakes recorded in the United States today, Sunday, December 17, with information on time, magnitude, and epicenter. Because of its geographic location, the North American region experiences frequent earthquakes because they lie on the North American and Pacific Plates, and also because of the San Andreas and Wasatch Faults.
- How to prepare an emergency bag for earthquakes in the United States?
Tremors in the United States today, December 17 via USGS
According to USGS scientists; Areas experiencing high tremors in the North American region are the North American Plate, the Pacific Plate, the Rocky Mountains, and the counties near the Tennessee Valley. Therefore, it is important to know the actions that can be taken in the event of a major earthquake and to know the seismic events that occur during the day:
Emergency numbers in the US
Knowing evacuation routes and emergency rendezvous points is essential in the event of a strong earthquake in the United States. For more information on seismology and for more guidance on the topic, you should call 1-888-275-8747 (option 2) or 1-888-392-8545 (web chat). You can also write to [email protected], which corresponds to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
- Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time, excluding holidays.
- Address: USGS National Center 12201 Sunrise Valley Drive Reston, Virginia 2019
- Another essential option is to call 911.
Which states in the US have the most earthquakes?
The West Coast of the United States is an area of high seismic activity due to subduction of the Pacific Plate beneath the North American Plate. This region includes the states of California, Oregon, Washington and Alaska.
The Rocky Mountains are another area of high seismic activity in the United States. This area includes states the mountain, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah And snowfall.
The Tennessee Valley is an area of moderate seismic activity in the United States. This area includes states Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina And Georgia.
It is important to be prepared to take proper precautions when a strong earthquake hits these cities in the United States, so we recommend creating a family emergency plan and having a kit with food, water, medicine and other essentials.
What to do if there is an earthquake in America?
Based on information provided by the United States Geological Survey (USGS), I share with you the following recommendations on what to do during an earthquake.
- Stay calm and find a place for seismic protection.
- Lean against a wall or under a sturdy desk or table
- Turn off the electricity and close the water and gas valves.
- If you are on the street, stay away from buildings, poles and power cables.
- If you are at a mass event, the person should stay in place and protect their head and neck with their hands. Also, you must follow the instructions of those in charge of security at that location.
- Create a family emergency plan and practice it regularly
- If you are driving on a subway, bridge or highway, you must slow down and stop after exiting the area.
- Keep an emergency kit in your home, car and workplace
“Music ninja. Analyst. Typical coffee lover. Travel evangelist. Proud explorer.”